I want to talk about focus. As someone who has recruited heaps of people over many years, to work in the home business arena, I have noticed a problem with many of my recruits. They lack focus.
Here is what typically happens. They join a business opportunity – mlm, direct sales, affiliate marketing – whatever. In the first couple of weeks, sheer enthusiasm carries them through. That is until they get a few knock backs; a few noe’s will take the gloss off any budding entrepreneurial effort.
For many, once that happens they lose focus and ultimately quit.
Of course some people already have a problem when they join the program. They surely set themselves up for a fall. Why? They have too many existing distractions. They think they can somehow graft this new part time thing onto their current over crowded schedule and make money.
Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. You need to eliminate all distractions, all non productive activities whilst you are getting your new venture off the ground.
Sometimes we feel like the proverbial kid in the candy shop – we want it all. But here is reality – WE CANT HAVE IT ALL We have to choose higher value pursuits at the expense of lower value pursuits.
Symptoms of Losing Focus in Your Home Based Business
The following represents a partial list of pursuits the unfocused (and destined to fail) home biz operator gets involved in:
- They Join Other Money Making Programs. It is easy to be seduced by the lure of get rich quick schemes but more often than not the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.
- They Join Distracting Lead Generation Training Programs. Not saying that lead generation training products and programs such as Magnetic Sponsoring don’t offer value. They do. But there is a time and place for everything. And it is true to say that if you want a quick result you are probably not going to get it with these online marketing training programs.
- They Take on Part Time Work. Oh well, if the home biz ain’t workin’, you can always get a part time job. But what a cop out!
- They Re-Commit To Their Job. This is the same job they said they wanted to quit just a month ago. My, how things change!
- They Have Pity Parties. Poor you! So sad.
- They Become ‘Namer Blamers’. ‘It’s not my fault, I blame the company, or my mentor – anyone except me!’
How to Get Back On Track
If you recognise any of the above symptoms, stop everything – and read the following……….
Firstly you have to get a grip! Give yourself a good talking to. You need a shake up. Get your partner to slap you around a little – or a lot. If you don’t have a partner, give me a call – I’ll do it, no charge. (It’s fun for me, you see.)
Talk to your manager, sponsor, or mentor. Be completely honest. Tell him or her you are a complete wimp and need to be punished. This should work.
Failing that re-visit your dream. Boring for some, but worthwhile just the same. Presumably you had a dream for a better life when you joined the program. If that is true then the questions you need to answer are ‘how strong is your dream’? and ‘how bad do you want it?’ Get clear on the answers to those questions once again, and chances are you will get yourself back on track and making money once again. Get to it!